TORREY J. GERDES
Ms. Gerdes is a trial attorney and chair of the firm’s employment practice group. She assists clients in navigating complex issues to manage risk and achieve their goals to avoid claims, throughout discovery, in settlement, and during trial if necessary. With a foundation in insurance defense litigation, she represents individuals, political subdivisions, business clients, and professionals in employment, professional malpractice, municipal/political subdivision litigation, premises liability, and other tort claims.
Ms. Gerdes’ employment practice includes advising, workplace investigations, and litigation defense. She counsels employers on compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, wage, contract, non-compete and misappropriation issues. Both before and after issues arise, she provides practical advice for implementing employment policies and employee discipline and termination decisions. She conducts and provides guidance during workplace investigations in order to avoid claims and maximize defense in litigation. Ms. Gerdes defends employers in various industries against charges of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, contract, and wage matters before state and federal courts and administrative agencies.
Torrey also serves as a Co-Chancellor, or Co-General Counsel, to The Great Plains Annual Conference of The United Methodist Church and its Bishop. In this capacity, she regularly handles and coordinates representation on matters of employment, corporate governance, and risk management.
Ms. Gerdes grew up in Eustis, Nebraska. In her free time, Ms. Gerdes enjoys spending time with her family and traveling.
Admitted to practice in: State of Nebraska; State of Iowa; United States District Court, District of Nebraska; United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
Juris Doctor, with distinction, University of Nebraska College of Law, 2008
Bachelor of Journalism, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2004
- Nebraska State Bar Association, Labor Relations and Employment Law Section, Executive Committee member
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Lincoln Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Professional Liability Defense Federation
- Robert Van Pelt American Inn of Court, alumni member
- Nebraska Defense Counsel Association
- Selected to Super Lawyers’ Great Plains Rising Star in the practice area of Employment Litigation Defense, 2018
- Judicial Law Clerk, Hon. Frankie J. Moore, Nebraska Court of Appeals, 2008-2010
- Nebraska College of Law Moot Court Board, 2006-2008
- 100s of Women Who Care Lincoln
- University of Nebraska Alumni Association, Nebraska Women’s Leadership Network (formerly Cather Circle)
- Kappa Delta Sorority, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Chapter Advisory Board
- Kappa Delta Sorority, Lincoln Alumnae Chapter, President, 2010-2011
- Attorney Coach, Eustis-Farnam High School Mock Trial Team, 2008
Area(s) of Practice
Political Subdivision Tort Claims
Professional Liability Defense
Personal Injury & Wrongful Death
Premises Liability Defense
1248 O STREET, SUITE 600
LINCOLN, NE 68508