STEPHEN S. GEALY
Mr. Gealy is a defense lawyer. His personal injury defense practice over the years has run the gamut from soft tissue injury and minor property damage claims to catastrophic injury and wrongful death suits. His trial experience in state and federal courts includes well over one hundred trials of cases arising from fires, alleged product defects and automobile, commercial truck, aircraft, oil field, agricultural and industrial accidents. More recently Mr. Gealy’s practice has focused to a much greater extent on the defense of cases arising out of accidents involving commercial motor carriers. As a result of his years of trial practice, Mr. Gealy has been recognized by his peers as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, a Fellow of the International Society of Barristers and a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates. While he enjoys his trial practice immensely, Mr. Gealy also works regularly as a mediator in an effort to assist other trial lawyers and their clients in the resolution of claims without the necessity of trial.
In addition to his practice, Mr. Gealy has, for a number of years, served the University of Nebraska College of Law as an Adjunct Professor of Law teaching in the area of pretrial litigation. He offers students instruction and insight in pleading, written discovery, direct and cross examination in depositions and the preparation of and defense against dispositive motions.
Juris Doctor, University of Nebraska College of Law, 1982
Master of Arts in Public School Administration, University of Nebraska-Kearney, 1979
Bachelor of Arts, Hastings College, 1974
Admitted to practice in: State of Nebraska; United States District Court, District of Nebraska; United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit; United States Supreme Court
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- Lincoln Bar Association
- Omaha Bar Association
- Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys
- DRI, Nebraska Representative, 1995-1999
- Nebraska Defense Counsel Association, Board of Directors, 1986 -1992, 1994 -2001, President, 1992 -1993
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers
- American Board of Trial Advocates, President, Nebraska Chapter, 2001 -2002
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Listed in Great Plains Super Lawyers
- Listed in Corporate Counsel magazine’s Top Rated Lawyers in Transportation Law
- Life Fellow, Nebraska State Bar Foundation, Board of Directors, 2014 – Present
- Fellow, ABOTA Foundation
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Adjunct Professor of Law, 1996 – Present
- DRI State Leadership Award, 1999
- Robert Van Pelt American Inns of Court, Master of the Bar, 1995 – 2000
- Co-author, “A Career in the Courtroom: A Different Model for Success of Women Who Try Cases,” DRI (2004).
- Author “Ruminations on Argument,” Trials & Tribulations, The Newsletter of the Trial Tactics and Techniques Committee, p. 10. DRI (Spring, 2000).
- Author, “Protection Unlimited: A Preferred User’s Right to Means of Groundwater Diversion in Nebraska,” 62 Nebraska Law Review 270 (1983).
- Cornhusker Council, Boy Scouts of America, Executive Board, 1985 – Present; President, 1993 -1995
- Big Eight Conference Track and Field Official, 1983 -1993
- Nebraska State High School Track and Field Meet official, 1981 – present
- Lincoln Lodge No.19, A.F. & A.M.
- Sesostris Shrine Temple
Area(s) of Practice
Personal Injury Defense
1248 O STREET, SUITE 600
LINCOLN, NE 68508