EMILY R. MOTTO
Ms. Motto is a Partner and Chair of the firm’s Litigation Practice Group. She handles all general litigation files. She practices in the areas of insurance defense, insurance coverage, personal injury defense, bad faith, premises liability, estate and trust litigation, guardianships and conservatorships. Her experience in the court room includes both bench trials and jury trials.
Ms. Motto grew up in Davenport, Iowa and is a graduate of the University of Iowa and Creighton University School of Law. As an active member of the Defense Research Institute, Ms. Motto is a strong advocate for women in the law and has various publications to her credit.
Admitted to practice in: State of Nebraska, State of Iowa, United States District Court, District of Nebraska
Juris Doctor, Creighton University School of Law, 2011.
Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy and Political Science, The University of Iowa, 2007.
- Nebraska Defense Counsel Association, President, 2020 – 2021
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (FDCC)
- State Representative, Nebraska
- Admissions Committee
- Defense Research Institute (DRI):
- Past Nebraska State Membership Chair
- Young Lawyers Steering Committee, 2013 – 2019
- Litigation Skills steering Committee, 2022 – present
- ALFA International
- Robert Van Pelt Inn of Court, 2016 – Present
- Lincoln Bar Association
- Nebraska State Bar Association
Area(s) of Practice
Personal Injury Defense
Estate & Trust Litigation
Guardianship & Conservatorships
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of the driver of a vehicle in a matter involving a vehicle-bicycle collision
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a landlord in a housing discrimination matter brought by the Nebraska Attorney General’s Office
- Successfully obtained summary judgment on behalf of a corporate client in a multi-party asbestos matter
- Successfully obtained an order of dismissal, and successfully defended the appeal, of an attempted class action lawsuit alleging causes of action pursuant to the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act and the Fair Credit Reporting Act
- 2016 Rising Star Award, Nebraska Defense Counsel Association
- Leadership Lincoln Fellow 2015 – 2016
- Strategies for Defending Chiropractic Cases, The Whisper, Vol. 10, Issue 1
- Young Women in the Law: Achieving Success with DRI, The Whisper, Vol. 10, Issue 7
- Women Rainmakers – Roadmap to Success, DRI E-Book, co-author of Chapter 3, October of 2014
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Lincoln, Board President 2018-2019